Need to write API documentation but don’t know where to start? We hear you. We’ve been there. That’s why we created this easy-to-use template to get you started and put a framework in place for your API reference documents. It also includes a 16-page tutorial that explains what you need to include in your API documents, with example of how to describe your endpoints, parameters, and other settings.
This template isn’t for expert or senior tech writers. Rather, it’s for junior tech writers, developers, or anyone else who’s been asked to document an API and needs some help to get started. The price is pretty reasonable when you think how long it would take to come up to speed and create your own writing guidelines. That’s it. Here’s what’s inside.
- Use this 28-page MS Word template to document your REST/Web APIs. This template pack includes detailed examples, guidelines, and screenshots.
- You also get a 16 page How to Write API Document tutorial that explains how to write each section in your API reference documentation. It includes helpful explanatory text that walks you through the process of documenting each section in the API, including the parameters, endpoints, requests, responses, and endpoints.
You can change everything in the document – text, images, and tables. There are no special plug-ins, macros, or installation files.
Why Write API Reference Documentation?
If your company develops APIs, then you can use this MS Word template to write reference documentation for each API available with the product. The API documentation describes the common components used by each of the APIs for iOS, Android, and other platforms. Use the API reference documentation to explain the data structures available through the APIs.
This will increase the usage and popularity of your APIs and encourage developers, testers, and integrators to use your API products.
This is the cover page – you can remove the image if you want to – with the document conventions and legal text.
Each section includes explanatory text, tables to present the information, and sample default values to put things in context.
The document is designed to be read. We use lots of white space and tables to make it easy to scan the text and find what you’re after.
Who is this API template for?
This API template was written for the following:
- Technical writers who are new to API documentation and want a template to get them started.
- Developers who’ve been asked to write a quick API document and need a template, with guidelines they can follow, to get the API documented as fast as possible.
- IT Managers who want to ensure all of their team follow the same guidelines when writing API document, even rough drafts to get started.
Examples of the structure of requests and responses.
Table of Contents
The API template includes the following chapters:
1.2. Current Version
1.4. HTTP Redirects
1.5. HTTP Requests
1.6. HTTP Methods
1.9. Rate Limiting
1.10. URL Format
2.0 API Reference Documentation
3.0 Resource Name [with instructions]
3.1. Resource Information
4. Resource Name [#1]
4.1. Resource Information
5. Resource Name [#2]
5.1. Resource Information
6. Query Parameters
7. Status Codes
How to Write API Documentation – Free eBook
You also get a 16-page How to Write API Document tutorial that explains how to write each section in your API reference documentation.
It includes helpful explanatory text that walks you through the process of documenting each section in the API, including the parameters, endpoints, requests, responses, and endpoints.
The How to Write API Document ebook is:
- Page Count: 16 Pages
- Language: US English
- File Format: PDF
We included screenshots of best practice APIs so you can see how others write and present their APIs.
We then walk you through how to document the paths, parameters, settings, as well as default values and other parts of the reference document.
API Template – Technical Details
Here are details of the actual API Documentation Template that you can download:
- Page Count: 28 Pages
- Language: US English
- File Format: Microsoft Word .docx format
- Also includes How to Write API Documentation: PDF