Looking for templates for your next technical writing project? Download high-quality MS Word, Excel and Visio templates.
Get started faster, complete documents on schedule, and spend less time formatting templates. All templates include sample text to help you write each section and populate the document. They’re very easy to customize, ready for immediate download, and have a 60-day money-back guarantee.
Technical Writing Tutorials
- MadCap Flare: How to Update Stylesheets
- MadCap Flare: Conditional Text 101
- 5 Part Formula for Writing Error Messages
- Madcap Flare – Close all Open Documents Except Active One
- How to Write Error Log Messages
- How to Write a Configuration Guide
- How to Specify Parameters
- Technical Writing Tips
Adobe Communications Suite
- 11 adobe distiller tips
- Why adobe FrameMaker sucks
- MS Word to FrameMaker tutorial
- Eddie Vanarsdalls – 10 tips for importing FrameMaker into Madcap Flare?
- Error message MS Word has encountered a problem and needs to close?
- FrameMaker 9 – How to optimize performance
- FrameMaker to Robohelp
- Is Adobe FrameMaker worth the money?
- 10 best career mistakes I made
- 12 steps to getting started as a consultant
- Are daily rates for technical writers falling?
- Are daily rates for technical writers improving?
- Can I get a job as a technical writer without a degree?
- Future of technical documentation
- How much can I make as a technical writer?
- How to get a technical writing degree online
- How to get out of technical writing and into better paid jobs
- How to get out of technical writing and into higher paid jobs
- How to study technical writing online
- Is a degree in technical writing worth the effort?
- Svi Ben Elya on technical writing in Israel
- What’s the highest daily rate you can get as a technical writer?
- Who makes the most money – technical writers with strong language or deep technical skills?
- Why did you choose to be a technical writer?
- Review online degrees technical writing university?
Freelance, Rates, Contracting
- 20 tips for home-based developers
- 20 tips when working from home
- How to differentiate yourself as a technical writer
- Increase daily rates freelancer technical writer
Grammar, Style Guides
- 4 rules of capitalization in technical documents
- 7 ways to revise technical documents
- Choosing the right style guide
- Common errors in technical writing
- Considering a move into technical writing?
- Detox your technical documents – put words on a diet
- Do CEOs need to write well to succeed?
- Grammar mistakes – words make technical writers look very dumb
- How do I choose the right style guide?
- How to mind your grammar on the web
- Peer reviews free template
- User Guide v User Manual
- 2 ways to chunk content using madcap flare
- Bling your technical documents with free Madcap Flare skins
- The right way to add images to MS Word and avoid crashes
- Convert MS Word into FrameMaker
- Create Greek ‘dummy text’ in MS Word
- Create vertical text
- Create very large MS Word documents
- Fix corrupt damaged MS Word files
- Fix error – There is insufficient memory save the document now?
- Fix Table of Contents in MS Word
- Hide the page number on the first page
- Open a locked document in MS Word
- Setup a table as a worksheet in Word
- Stop MS Word files from crashing
- Table of contents is not displayed in MS Word
- What is a docx file?
- Why do backward Ps appear in Word?
Social Media, Blogging
- 4 technical writers to follow on twitter
- 5 UK technical writers you should follow on twitter
- 50 technical writing blogs
- 50 technical writers on the web
- Want to blog every day? Use the inverted pyramid story format
- Create daily content for your blog
- Get more traffic for your technical writing blog
- How technical writers could use Twitter
- Use LinkedIn to find technical writing contract work
Screenshots, Graphics, Images
- 3 tricks to sharpen your screenshots
- Batch process screenshots
- Change 100 screenshots to the same size with a single click
- How to screen capture a region
- Improve your screenshots by hiding the taskbar automatically
- My favorite print screen trick
- Take a screen shot of the windows start menu bar
Technical Writing: How to set up a team
- Interview tech writers
- Interview technical writers
- Manage technical writers
- Run structured interviews
- Setup a technical writing department
- What exactly do technical writers do?
- What guidelines can you offer when interviewing technical writers?
Technical Writing: How to write
- 10 favorite technical writing tools
- 7 steps to clear technical writing
- Are technical documents a waste of time?
- Audience analysis tools
- Create online help
- Difference between usability and information architecture
- Do technical writing projects need a documentation plan?
- Does outsourcing threaten tech writing?
- Does your writing have an accent?
- Get feedback to improve your technical writing
- Getting kids into technical writing with screencasting
- Gina Blednyh — Social media will make you a better technical writer
- How to documents Java projects
- How to make 200 extra minutes every week
- I am a tech writer newbie
- Janet swisher – on floss manuals, open source, and book sprints
- No country for old tech writers
- Obscure error messages from yahoo
- Procedure v Work Instructions
- Tech writing skills outsource
- Technical writing podcasts
- Technical writing tips
- Top technical writer skills
- Write a target audience questionnaire for your training plan
- Write documents faster and save your fingers from exhaustion
- Write technical documentation for APIs
- MadCap Flare: How to Update Stylesheets
- MadCap Flare: Conditional Text 101
- 5 Part Formula for Writing Error Messages
- How to Write Error Log Messages
- [Checklist] How to Review Troubleshooting Guides
- Madcap Flare: Snippets 101
- Review Checklist for Technical Documents
- Madcap Flare: Logo Size and Settings for WebHelp
- How to Create (Stunning) Web Forms
- Web Help: 5 Index Guidelines
- Madcap Flare: how to improve Search Engine Optimization
- Madcap Flare: How to Create Variables
- How to Remove the MadCap Logo in WebHelp Output
- Configuration Guides: How To Document Parameters
- How to Find Broken Links in Madcap Flare
- Madcap Flare: How to add The Mark of The Web
- How much can you make as a technical writer?
- Over 50? Would a career in technical writing suit you?
- How to find technical writing work on LinkedIn
- Do you have a technical writer’s personality?
- How to find technical writing work using Quora
- How I use Twitter to find technical writing work
- C# Namespace Guidelines
- What is a Statement in C#?
- How to Write Error Messages: Faster, Stronger, Better
- C#: how to write Hello World
- How to Write Release Notes: Faster, Stronger, Better
- Proof-reading Checklist for Technical Documents
- C# – What is a derived class?
- User Guide Checklist
- How to Write RESTful APIs
- How to Test Technical Documents
- Functional Specification Checklist
- How to write a Use Case
- Difference Between Run and Execute in Technical Documents
- 10 Ways To Improve Your Documentation Plan Right Now
- 5 reasons why women are better technical writers than men
- 5 reasons women technical writers are better than the boys
- 7 skills that most technical writers lack
- How do you measure value of technical documents?
- How many hours per week do technical writers actually spend writing?
- How many pages per day do tech writers write?
- How much does it cost to write a user guide?
- How Stephen King can make you a better technical writer
- How Tai Chi can make you a better technical writer
- How technical writers can move further up the food chain
- How technical writers can use XML in adobes technical communication suite
- Technical Documentation Resources
- What are your favorite 10 technical writing tools?
- Why do you need to develop a capacity plan?
- Writing technical documentation for Chinese readers
Visio, Diagramming, Flowcharts
- Visio – How to improve text in your diagrams and flowcharts
- Visio – How to move text around diagrams
- Visio power tips 1 move multiple shapes with a single click
- Visio power tips 11 rotate change flip text
- Business process design tutorial – part 1
A-Z of API Documentation
Freelance Technical Writing
Technical Writing Books
Software Development Templates
|Acquisition Plan||Document the acquisition of hardware, software, infrastructure, and networks.||$9.99|
|Availability Plan||Identify hardware and software when making solutions available for use.||$7.99|
|Bill of Materials||Identify the materials used to build a product.||$7.99|
|Capacity Plan||Document the capacity requirements for functionality and performance of IT systems.||$9.99|
|Change Management||Create a plan to address all aspects involved in change management procedures; help clients manage risk and resistance associated with the implementation of complex changes.||$9.99|
|Concept of Operations||Document the information needed to fund a proposed system.||$9.99|
|Configuration Management||Describe how to configure software and hardware items. Provide a framework for managing your Configuration Management process and implementation||$9.99|
|Concept Proposal||The first document in the Software Development Lifecycle. Highlight where strategic goals are not being met or where performance needs to be improved.||$4.99|
|Conversion Plan||Document the roll-out of the data conversion strategy. Describe resources responsible for converting the data.||$9.99|
|Cost Benefit Analysis||Document the relation between the cost of an undertaking and the value of the potential benefits.||$7.99|
|Database Design||Describe the design of the database and software components. Free Data Model.||$4.99|
|Design Document||Design an application based on the SRS. Used for high-level design as a “living document” that gradually evolves to include low-level design details.||$9.99|
|Deployment Plan||Describe how the system will be implemented, including software, conversion, and training.||$9.99|
|Disaster Recovery||32 page DR plan with Impact Analysis, Damage Assessment & Reports. Document the process, policies and procedures to prepare for recovery or continuation of services following a disaster.||$9.99|
|Disposition Plan||Explain how to dispose of an IT system correctly. Describe how the development and distribution of the Disposition Plan will be
controlled and tracked.
|Feasibility Study||Determine economic potential and compare against other projects.
A feasibility study investigates the potential benefits of a project.
|Functional Requirements||Capture functional requirements and perform task analysis;
define a function of a software system or its component.
|Implementation Plan||Describe the different tasks which must be accomplished to implement the new system.||$9.99|
|Operations Guide||Document procedures and information required run a system, product or application. Includes scheduled operations, tasks, troubleshooting, audits, tables, charts, and matrices for monitoring, backups, scheduling.||$9.99|
|Project Plan||Capture project execution and project control tasks. Identify when and how project’s objectives will be are achieved by depicting products, milestones, activities and resources. Includes Free Work Breakdown Structure spreadsheets.||$9.99|
|Release Notes||17 page template with sample material for Changes to release notes, Scope, System Requirements, New Features, Dropped Features, Fixed Issues, Hotfixes, Known Issues, Limitations & Restrictions,
Caveats, and Deployment Instructions.
|Risk Management Plan||Document the risks to which your project is exposed. Identify, evaluate and prioritize risks. 5 Free Excel Risk Management Plan Templates.||$9.99|
|Scope of Work||Define processes and work required to complete your project, including justification, work products, deliverables, objectives, assumptions, and limitations. Word Template (20 pgs), 2 Excel, WBS and Risk Log.||$9.99|
|Security Plan||Review security controls when system modifications are made. Reduce security vulnerabilities related to systems
configurations. Provide guidelines to establish system security & privacy requirements.
|System Design Doc||Transform requirements and functional design into specs||$9.99|
|Service Level Agreement||Sample materials including Scope of maintenance, Financials, Reporting, Terms and Conditions, Service Level Agreement, Expected Growth, and Costs. Define Scope, Financials, Reporting, SLA and Costs.||$9.99|
Statement of Needs
|Describe business need or deficiency, solutions, and costs||$7.99|
|Software Development Templates||54 templates (570 pages) of software development templates that cover all phases in the software development lifecycle. Includes Design, Feasibility Study, SRS, Development, Installation, Maintenance, Project, Test, Transition and Disposition.||$197.99|
|Software Requirements||Capture scope, objectives, functional requirements. Assist users in determining if the software meets their requirements. Encourage
stakeholders to review requirements before design begins.
|Standard Operating Procedures||Includes SOP templates, Guidebook, Log Book, Document Control, Clarifications and spreadsheets||$9.99|
|Statement of Work||Describe deliverables or services to fulfill a contract. Identify business objectives, such as completion criteria, risk assessment, constraints, impact analysis, success measures, critical success
factors, project roles and participants.
|System Admin Guide||Define procedures for starting and shutting down systems, monitoring performance, installing programs and operating system updates.||$7.99|
|System Boundary||Ensure that requirements satisfy the business need. Has the System Boundary Document highlighted areas outside of scope due to budgetary or resource restrictions?||$7.99|
|System Specifications||Document the system’s Characteristics, Partitions, Functions, Environment, Diagnostics, Data, Reports, Security, Control Points, Vulnerabilities, and Safeguards.||$9.99|
|Transition Plan||Identify transition planning strategies. Schedule the transition from rollout to full operational status. Outline tasks required to transition products.||$9.99|
|Verification & Validation||Determine whether the products of a given phase in the software development life-cycle fulfill the requirements established during the previous phase.||$4.99|
|Use Case||9 MS Visio templates. 29-page tutorial, and free Excel Data Dictionary.||$4.99|
Technical Writing Templates
|Technical Writing||15 templates helps write technical documents faster||$49.99|
|Audience Analysis||Create target audience profile. 30 pg MS Word/Excel||$9.99|
|Documentation Plan||Plan, schedule, & budget your technical documents||$3.99|
|Data Sheet||Encourage readers to learn more about your product||$9.99|
|Error Messages Guide||Shows users how to resolve error messages||$4.99|
|Fact Sheet||Overview of product, program, issue, event or topic||$4.99|
|Installation Plan||How to prepare, train, install, and convert systems||$9.99|
|Interface Control Document||Document relationship/protocols between components||$4.99|
|Maintenance Plan||Detail change control, configuration, testing & issues||$9.99|
|Setup Guide||Help customers install software successfully||$7.99|
|Troubleshooting Guide||Help users detect & correct problems with software||$4.99|
|Training Plan||18 page MS Word and 14 Word/Excel forms, checklists, questionnaires, and spreadsheets||$9.99|
|User Guide Templates||4 User Guide templates with free checklist and forms||$9.99|
|Work Instruction||Includes How to Write Work Instructions Tutorial||$7.99|
Software Testing Templates
|Acceptance Test Plan||21 page Word template outlines steps required to prepare an ATP||$9.99|
|Software Testing||50 Word + 27 Excel templates Includes Test Plan, Logs, Forms, Reports, Test Case, Script, Report||$49.99|
|Test Plan||Define approach to development, integration, qualification, and acceptance testing||$9.99|
|Sales & Marketing Templates|
|Action Plan||Prepare goals, budget, schedule & actions. 14 MS Word & 7 Excel||$7.99|
|Case Study||6 templates with tutorial, forms and case study checklist||$9.99|
|Grant Proposal||Outline Statement of Need, Goals, Budget, Evaluation, and Metrics. Free Cover Sheet, Cover Letter & Forms||$9.99|
|Market Research||Identify goals, targets, data collection, analysis, and report||$9.99|
|Marketing Plan||Deliver a blueprint for marketing success||$9.99|
|Social Media Policy||Policy documents for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Blogs and more||$9.99|
|White Papers||5 MS Word templates with tutorial on how to write white papers||$9.99|
Business Document Templates
|Business Case||22 pg template includes Need, Process, Cost/Benefit Analysis||$9.99|
|Business Continuity||Checklists, forms and guidelines required for continuity||$9.95|
|Business Process||Capture processes for technical & operations. Visio||$9.99|
|Business Requirement||Capture current and future needs of your business||$9.99|
|Business Rules||Define tasks, clarify actions and remove ambiguity||$7.99|
|Communication Plan||Identify writers, audience, topics, dates, delivery, issues etc||$7.99|
|Employee Handbook||100 samples pages incl Employment, Benefits, Payroll, Harassment, Disciplinary, Policies and Safety||$9.99|
|Policy Manual||Sample policies, checklists, templates and spreadsheets||$9.99|
Proposal Development Templates
|Expression of Interest||Starting point in procurement process and identifying bidders||$3|
|Proposal Forms||25 Excel & Word logs, forms, checklists, and templates||$9.99|
|Proposal Template||Template to write business proposal or respond to RFP||$19|
|Request for Proposal||Includes sample formats for Bidders and Suppliers||$14.99|