Identifying the right technical documentation software for your department can be overwhelming. To address this, the following checklist identifies some of the key criteria to consider when selecting technical documentation aka tech authoring software. The list is not exhaustive, but should give you a starting point to assess the products.
In the Madcap world of Flare (yes, I promise never to say that again), you can use stylesheets to give your tech docs a real edge. For me, styles are one of the hidden secrets in Flare. So, if you plan to publish your tech docs to PDF, Web, or HTML5, a crash course in CSS […]
Conditional text is one of those writing tactics technical writers love to talk about… but never seem to use. It’s a shame as conditional tagging can save you a lot of time, especially if you have technical documents which share 90% of the content but the other 10% needs to be tweaked for each release. […]
Using Madcap Flare to create your WebHelp? Did you know you can add SEO information to the page headers? This improves their results in search engines queries and helps customers find information faster. Want to know how? Follow these steps, grasshopper. Madcap Flare: how to improve Search Engine Optimization In Project Organizer, click Targets, then […]
Are you using variables in your technical documents? If not, you might be missing out. They save a lot of time and help keep the documents accurate, for example, if you need to change a product name across the entire doc set. If those puppies were hard-coded, you’re in trouble. We use Madcap Flare. The […]